Burnham-On-Sea Railway Heritage Group has held a special unveiling event this week to mark several historic artefacts being installed around the site of the former Somerset & Dorset Railway line into the town.
Thursday’s event was held around Burnham’s Town Green in Old Station Approach, attended by Sedgemoor Chairman Cllr Ian Dyer, Deputy Mayor Bill Hancock and Town Crier Alistair Murray plus scores of residents, as pictured here.
The railway artefacts have been installed during recent months to commemorate Burnham’s railway heritage and to mark the 50th anniversary of closure of the line in 1966.
The items include a replica Station Name Board, located on the site of the excursion platform of the station.
A Replica Signal, adjacent to the base of the original signal controlling the entrance to the station/coal yard has also been installed.
An Information Panel, showing the layout of the station and track plan as it was in 1929, has been sited in the High Street Car Park (formerly the coal yard).
A Weather Vane, the pointer of which is a railway locomotive carrying the number of the last engine to leave Burnham-On-Sea, has been positioned on the Town Green.
An Information Panel, providing visitor information about the various items, is located near the site of the excursion platform of the station.
In addition, Marine Drive from the entrance to Burnham on Sea Holiday Village to the junction with Pier Street has been renamed Old Station Approach. This section of roadway largely follows the track-bed of the line from Burnham on Sea to Highbridge.