Coaches are welcome in Burnham-On-Sea
Led by Burnham-On-Sea Chamber of Trade, this project is supported by Burnham and Highbridge Town Council and Sedgemoor District Council with the aim of encouraging more coaches and coach visitors into this coach-friendly Somerset seaside town. We welcome coaches!
Progress so far by Burnham-On-Sea's Project Coach
So far, Burnham has achieved:
- 2019: short-listed as the UK’s most coach-friendly destination
- 2018: runner-up as the UK’s most coach-friendly destination
- 2016: Winner of the title ‘UK’s most coach friendly destination’
- In January 2015 report to Town Council Policy & Finance committee, the project reported an increase in coach numbers from 173 in 2012 to 1,012 in 2014.
- March 2014: Burnham-On-Sea was awarded Coach Friendly status by the Confederation of Passenger Transport UK.
- 2013, 2014, 2015: Finalist for UK’s most coach friendly destination
Aims of Burnham-On-Sea's Project Coach
Demonstrable increase in day trip visitors to Burnham-on-Sea through group coach travel.
Promotion of Burnham-on-Sea as a destination to coach operators:
Develop and build on existing relationships through direct contact, newsletters, promotional mail outs and social media.
Maintain a contact database
Maintain Coach friendly status (see appendix) & ongoing entry into Coach Friendly Awards;
Utilise social media as a marketing tool:
Ad hoc postings and links using dedicated coach social media;
Work with SDC, Visit Somerset and other relevant parties;
Secure sustainability by moving over a four year period to an exclusively private sector funded model.
What is the Coach Friendly award?
“This is awarded to destinations that show clear commitment to understanding the requirements of the coach, its passengers and driver.”
“The award raises the profile of the destination to the wider coach tourism
industry in the UK and Europe, boosting its economic potential. CPT Coach Friendly Status serves as an excellent platform for self-promotion, to a market that acknowledges the status of this award. Our commitment can be shown through achieving all the award criteria.”