Warning messages remain in place around Highbridge’s Apex Park lakes after ‘potentially toxic’ algae was found there last week.
Burnham-On-Sea and Highbridge dog walkers have again been urged to stay away from the water after an outbreak of blue-green algae was found there.
The water, if touched, could cause skin irritation or an ‘upset stomach’ and can be dangerous to dogs.
The green algae has been a frequent occurence during periods of hot weather over recent years.
“Sedgemoor District Council’s Clean Surroundings team will carry out regular inspections of the lake to monitor any changes and ensure adequate signage is in place around the lake,” said the council’s Paula Barber.
“The Environment Agency will also continue to monitor the situation and sample the water weekly until the bloom subsides.”
As a precaution, visitors have been advised to stay away from the water and dog owners have been advised to keep their pets from entering the lakes.
Visitors should also avoid “prolonged contact” with the lake and avoid eating the area’s fish where algae is present. Warning signs are to be placed around the site as a precaution.
Water activities such as paddle boarding and fishing were withdrawn at Wednesday’s Apex Park Playday to ensure the safety of visitors.
The council is urging visitors not to swim in the water, not to let dogs in the water or let them drink it, not to swallow the water, avoid contact with the algae, not to eat fish caught from the water, and to observe and abide by any warning notices positioned around the water.