A Burnham-On-Sea fire crew was sent to tackle a chimney fire in the village of Mark on Sunday evening (January 13th).

One fire appliance was sent to Poplar Lane, Mark just after 6.10pm after a resident raised the alarm.

“One fire appliance was initially mobilised from fire control to a chimney fire. Once in attendance the officer in charge confirmed that the chimney was on fire but couldn’t clarify the exact location of the fire,” said a spokesman.

“This property had a tiled roof but also had thatch underneath, with the potential of rapid fire spread.”

“With this in mind the officer in charge requested a second appliance which was also sent from Burnham-On-Sea.”

“Crews got to work removing a woodburning stove, and extinguishing the fire using a stirrup pump and small tools.”

“The fire was located on the register plate which was caused from a build up of soot.”

After giving fire safety advice to the residents, the crews stood down.