Burnham-On-Sea firefighters tackled a barn blaze in Burtle on Saturday evening (July 20th) that spread to a nearby house and caused a fuel leak.
Crews from Bridgwater, Glastonbury and Burnham-On-Sea were initially called at 2.42pm to the village where the hay storage building was alight.
“Due to the number of calls being received by Fire Control, a further fire appliance from Bridgwater was mobilised,” said a spokesman.
“Repeat calls to Fire Control suggested that there was a large amount of diesel in the barn and the fire may have spread to the house so a fourth fire appliance from Street was mobilised.”
“On arrival fire crews confirmed one barn was well alight and the fire had spread to the rear of the adjacent house. Fire crews tackled the fire using one hose reel jet, one compressed air foam systems jet and two breathing apparatus wearers.”
At just after 3pm a further two fire appliances from Bridgwater and Wells as well as the incident command vehicle from Wiveliscombe were sent to the scene. Crews also requested the attendance of Western Power Distribution to isolate the power to the property as well as Police to close the road.
At 5pm the Environment Agency was informed of a diesel leak where the fuel had spilled into a nearby watercourse. Fire crews used compressed air foam systems to try and extinguish the fire.
It was confirmed that the barn measures 18 metres by 11 metres and has been severely damaged by fire. The incident was scaled down to one pump and a water carrier, to allow approximately 100 hay bales to burn out under supervision. Crews were at work with one covering jet to prevent fire spread and to cool an oil tank.
The fire service say crews will be in attendance into the night.
Pictured: Crews at the scene of the blaze in Burtle (Photos: Burnham Fire Station)