CCTV cameras in Burnham-On-Sea High Street captured the moment that a town centre cash machine was dramatically blown apart by thieves early on Tuesday morning (November 14th).

Craig Evry, an Avon and Somerset Police spokesman, told “Two offenders in dark clothing were seen next to the cashpoint. They were also seen leaving the scene in a car.”

He confirmed that a quantity of cash is believed to have been stolen in the incident – and that Police are still interested to hear from witnesses.

The CCTV footage from Sedgemoor District Council’s cameras is a ‘vital’ part of the Police’s investigation and is being poured over to identify the culprits, who are understood to have used an explosive gas to blow apart the machine before taking the cash from inside.

As first reported here, Police and fire crews were called to Burnham High Street shortly after 4am on Tuesday morning when the thieves attacked the machine.

The junction of Burnham-On-Sea High Street and Adam Street was closed for much of the day, as pictured here, as officers carried out an investigation into what happened.

Debris from the cash machine was scattered across the street and pavement, leading officers to seal off the area with police tape.

Residents living near the scene told that they had heard a “loud bang” around 4.15am when the incident occurred. One resident, Paul Fook, said “it woke me up in Cross Street – shook the house.”

Avon & Somerset Police spokeswoman Niamh Byrne told “We were called at 4.16am to reports of an attack on an ATM in the High Street, Burnham-On-Sea.”

Burnham fire crews were also called to the scene at 4.19am and a spokesman told “On arrival the crew found a free-standing cash machine had been involved in fire. They used a carbon dioxide extinguisher to deal with the remaining hotspots.”

“The police were also on scene, so crews assisted them with preserving the scene. It is believed the fire was started deliberately.”

The Police investigation is ongoing into the incident and anyone with further information should call the Police on 101, quoting log number 0074 of November 14.

The Town Council has been trying to get the machine removed for several years due to concerns about it being an eyesore, as we recently reported here.

Town Clerk Tatiana Cant said on Tuesday evening: “Burnham and Highbridge Town Council asked for this structure to be removed as it had been neglected by BT. This wasn’t an option but BT did tidy it up and repaint it on November 6th. Shame it was blown up only a week later.”

Police investigators were at the scene through the day, gathering evidence and photographing the scene before the cash machine was boarded up last night.

Debris from the explosion was scattered over Burnham-On-Sea High Street on Tuesday morning, much to the shock of nearby residents and passers-by.

Damaged equipment inside the cash machine was clearly visible.