Burnham-On-Sea’s Our Lady and The English Martyrs church has started a year of celebrations to mark the 50th anniversary of the opening of the ’round’ church.
A Mass will be held with Bishop Declan Lang on 21st May, a Festival of Flowers and Quilts will take place from 16th –18th June, and ‘Tea at the Ritz at OLEM’ is coming in July.
On the actual birthday, the Parish celebrated with a Mass, pictured here, followed by a shared supper.
Parishioners, young and old, were joined by the Deputy Mayor, Bill Hancock and Mrs Hancock, along with clergy from all the churches in Burnham.
Priests and Deacons with connections to the Parish concelebrated Mass with the Parish Priest, Father Tom Kelly and Deacon Paul Brandon.
Sisters of La Retraite, who had supported the Catholic community for years, were honoured guests.
The Sisters opened their chapel in 1890 and it was used as the parish church until it became too small, and the interestingly shaped new church was built in 1967.
After the Mass, and a welcome from John Moreton, everyone enjoyed supper , chat and an exhibition of photos and newscuttings from past decades.
An International Meal and a Taize evening have also been held to mark the milestone.