A Highbridge man has been air-lifted to hospital after inhaling chorline gas.

Paramedics were called to Kimber Close in Highbridge on Wednesday evening (July 20th) where a 29-year-old man had been taken ill.

The fire service was called to help rescue the man, with a specialist hazardous materials officer joining firefighters from Burnham-On-Sea fire station at the scene.

The red Devon air ambulance was called to the scene, as pictured here, and the man was air-lifted to hospital for further treatment.

A fire service spokesman told Burnham-On-Sea.com: “A fire appliance from Burnham-On-Sea was sent at 7.28pm together with a Hazmat officer from Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service, following a request from Ambulance for our assistance to a 29 year-old man, who had accidentally inhaled the fumes from some chlorine tablets.”

“After liaising with on scene paramedics, crews assisted them with the casualty, who was later air lifted to hospital, before making the scene safe.”

“Duty of care was then left with the owner of the property.”

Chlorine tablets are used to treat swimming pools to prevent bacteria build up. They are described as poisonous, flammable and corrosive.

Pictured: The red air ambulance flying off with the casualty after Wednesday’s incident in Highbridge (photo: Thomas Macrae)