Burnham-On-Sea fire crews were called to tackle a bedroom fire at a house in Highbridge on Wednesday evening (June 12th).

Crews were called to Cuthbert Street in Highbridge at 6.49pm. The incident was started by a young child playing with a cigarette lighter.

A spokesman said: “Two fire crews from Burnham-On-Sea and a duty officer were sent after fire control had received reports of a property fire.”

“Upon arrival this was found to be a small fire in a downstairs bedroom. Crews got to work with two breathing apparatus wearers and one hose reel jet, extinguishing the fire using a positive pressure ventilation fan to expel the smoke from the property.”

“Fire extinguished, crews administered first aid to several of the occupants who had suffered slight smoke inhalation and one occupant who had suffered slight burns that were superficial, non-life threatening.”

“An ambulance was requested to attend and upon doing so they took over the care of the casualties.”

“The cause of the fire was deliberate – a young child playing with a cigarette lighter. Damage to the property was five percent to a bedroom and 20 percent smoke damage to the rest of the property.”

The fire crews also asked: “Can we get to your house? Please do think about this when parking. This was a very tight street and made our approach very challenging.”