A new bench bearing the names of local fallen soldiers in memory of those who perished in World War 1 has been unveiled in Berrow.
The WW1 Commemoration Committee in Berrow and Brean have held a ceremony to inaugurate the first lasting memorial to the fallen in WW1.
“This first memorial bench has been put in place at the corner of the Village Green in Berrow and is eight-sided, with each side bearing the name of a fallen soldier, permanently etched into the material of the seat,” a spokesman told Burnham-On-Sea.com.
“The bench is made of a special material made from recycled milk bottles and looks and feels like wood, whilst being much longer lasting.”
As the soldiers’ names are engraved into the wood, they will remain a permanent and visible feature on the memorial.
“A beech tree, similar to those growing in the Somme during 1914, has also been placed in the centre of the bench,” he added.