Burnham-On-Sea Priory Court care home

Town councillors have this week supported plans to build four new homes on the grounds of a care home in Burnham-On-Sea.

Country Court Care’s plans to build four dwellings south of Priory Court care home in Oxford Street were given a ‘thumbs up’ during a virtual meeting of the Town Council’s Planning Applications committee on Wednesday (May 13th) despite several concerns.

Three of the new homes would comprise of a short, terraced row of dwellings, all of which would be two storeys in height and would contain 3-bedrooms. Plot 4 would be a detached property with four bedrooms.

Cllr Louise Parkin noted that the application has changed since a previous application at the site was rejected, with the number of proposed homes being reduced, thereby alleviating the risk of extra traffic.

Cllr Nick Tolley noted that traffic along that stretch of Oxford Street is a concern and he added that he would recommend that the large wall is lowered to provide a better line of sight for motorists exiting from the property to increase safety.

But Cllr Sue Harvey said that while there had been no objections from the Highways authority on the plans for the entrance, she would be “extremely worried” if the existing old wall is taken down, harming the overall appearance.

However, Cllr Bill Hancock said: “I can see no wrong with where they’re planning to build. As you go in, it’s always looked a bit of a mess so it’s great they’re tidying it up. If they have to knock down the wall, by all means do it, but reinstate a new one using the original bricks.”

Committee Chairman Cllr Andy Brewer assured councillors that he was not aware of any plans to completely remove the wall or a large section of it.

He added: “Over the last couple of years I’ve had reason to go there on a number of occasions and I have never had any problems with parking there. Coming out is a little tight… but as far I am aware there’s no record of any accidents in that vicinity associated with vehicles coming out of the entrance. There’s no evidence that it’s dangerous.”

Cllr Richard Gardiner-White added: “The only issue for me would be for the wall or site access but so long as it is safe I have no objections.”

Cllr Brewer concluded: “I suggest that we support this application on the grounds of the provision of additional residential properties in the town centre, subject to strict adherence to the arboricultural report and also subject to any works associated with the access not being detrimental to the appearance and character of the original building.”

Councillors unanimously supported the application. The final decision rests with Sedgemoor District Council.

 

 
Subscribe to our news updates and join our other subscribers.
No spam, we promise. You can unsubscribe at any time and we'll never share your details without your permission. View our privacy page