A huge unexploded World War 2 bomb which was found in the Bristol Channel near Hinkley Point was yesterday (Thursday) safely detonated by a Royal Navy Bomb Disposal Team, who launched from Burnham-On-Sea.
The 250lb device was found on the sea bottom by contractors building the new power station – and is the fifth to be discovered in recent weeks.
The Royal Navy Bomb Disposal Team launched their boat from Burnham-On-Sea on Thursday (September 28th) and carried out a controlled detonation.
The team’s boat was based at Burnham-On-Sea RNLI lifeboat station for several days this week before the detonation took place.
Mike Lang, Burnham RNLI spokesman, told Burnham-On-Sea.com: “Their boat had been left with us for a couple of days because they were called away to another operation but on Thursday they returned, ready to go with all their equipment.”
“After discussing their plans and preparing their kit, they made their way to the beach. Due to the state of the low tide and the risk of their vehicle sinking in the soft mud, the RNLI launched the boat using its Soft Track which is much better suited to the conditions.”
“Our crews are well aware of the risks so it seemed a sensible option for us to carry out the launch.”
He added: “The Bomb Disposal Team made their way to the site of the ordnance and made it safe using small charges. They then returned to the beach where we assisted with their recovery.”
Energy firm EDF, which is building Hinkley Point C, says it is normal practice to check the seabed before construction activity begins on any marine project.
EDF has a team of ten divers checking the seabed ahead of the construction of the main cooling water tunnels and associated seabed structures for Hinkley C.
Given that the area of coast around Hinkley was previously used for training exercises for several decades, it’s likely that further wartime ordnance will be found in the coming months.
Pictured: The Royal Navy Bomb Disposal Team launching from Burnham-On-Sea beach on Thursday (Photos Ian Brown)