A row over the lack of funding for new pedestrian crossings in Burnham-On-Sea stepped up this week when a County Councillor was told there is no money for small road improvements in the town.
Burnham-On-Sea.com reported earlier this month how town councillors had lashed out at roads bosses after learning that money earmarked for two planned pedestrian crossings had been taken away.
The news angered councillors in Burnham, including County Councillor Mike Facey, who this week took up the fight direct with council bosses.
“I brought up the subject at a special liaison meeting at Sedgemoor District Council. Despite explaining the need for these pedestrian crossings, I was told that the Council is only currently able to fund large projects in towns and villages like ours – not smaller ones like this – because of the way the Local Transport Plan is currently structured.”
“I’m not at all happy. The work had started on the crossings and now all funding has been withdrawn.”
Town councillors have also taken up the issue with the County Council’s Chief Executive to register their “disgust” at the matter – but on Tuesday afternoon (June 27th) they had still not received a reply, some three weeks after sending the letter.
The zebra crossings were to be installed on Berrow Road (pictured) and Marine Drive to help walkers get across during the busy summer season. But Chris Betty of the Somerset Highways Department suddenly withdrew the money for the projects because the work was no longer compliant with the county’s Local Transport Plan.