Concrete blocks at BASC ground entrance in Burnham-On-Sea

Concrete blocks are now in place at the entrance to Burnham-On-Sea’s BASC Ground to try and prevent travellers gaining access to the site.

It comes after a convoy of travellers who pitched up at the BASC Ground on Friday left the site on Sunday afternoon (May 24th).

Amid a heavy Police presence, the convoy started leaving mid-afternoon and the final vehicles left just before 5pm.

A clean-up operation began – but Russ Pike, Chairman of the BASC ground, told Burnham-On-Sea.com that the amount of rubbish left had been “minimal.”

He added: “Extra security has been put in place to try and prevent repeat visits, with concrete blocks now in place across our entrance. This is a temporary solution while we find a longer-term solution. I would like to add that the local Police were a great help on Sunday.”

It came after Police were initially called to the fields, just off Stoddens Road, just after 4pm on Friday when a line of around a dozen vehicles towing caravans queued outside before managing to force entry onto the fields and flow in, as pictured below.

Police vehicles were photographed blocking the access route into the BASC Ground, as pictured here, to avoid further traveller vehicles arriving.

Jenny Bigwood, Police spokeswoman, told Burnham-On-Sea.com: “Police attended the BASC ground in Stoddens Road, Burnham just after 4pm following a number of calls reporting a possible unlawful encampment. Attending officers found a number of caravans on the site.”

A group of travellers also pitched up on the BASC Ground in June 2016, as we reported here, prompting a number of security improvements to try and prevent them returning.

Travellers at Burnham-On-Sea BASC Ground

 
Subscribe to our news updates and join our other subscribers.
No spam, we promise. You can unsubscribe at any time and we'll never share your details without your permission. View our privacy page