beach's Mulberry Harbour blocks may be moved
of Burnham-On-Sea beach's historic Mulberry Harbour concrete blocks
could be moved to a new exhibition.
30 of the Burnham-On-Sea
beach Mulberry Harbour blocks are located near the town's low
lighthouse, partially buried in the sand.
large concrete blocks were once part of the crucial man-made Mulberry
Harbours used to land troops and machinery in France during World
resident Chris Howlett has asked Burnham and Highbridge Town Council
for approval to remove several of them for an exhibition.
am looking at the potential to recover some of the concrete fenders
- maybe three or four - then refurbish them and display them as
a memorial to the inpsirational design that went into the Mulberry
Harbours," he says.
location for their eventual display - should it prove to be possible
- has been decided although the Imperial War Museum at Duxford has
recently opened a Mulberry Harbour exhibit with a section of floating
roadway. This would make a nice location for the fenders."
came about because the Allied troops needed harbours in order to
land their hundreds of thousands of troops and millions of tons
of supplies during WW2.
1944 the Germans had used their years in France to turn most of
the English Channel ports into fortresses, which would be needed
if Operation Overlord, the code-name given to D-Day, was to succeed.
artificial harbours were built to land and support what was to be
the worlds greatest invasion.
harbours, code-named Mulberries, consisted of 73 individual
prefabricated concrete blocks that would form ports, breakwaters
and pontoons where ships could tie-up and unload their precious
ramps were also used as roadways to allow lorries to be driven directly
on to the beaches.