February 25, 2009
Highbridge phone box may not be replaced, says BT
Telecom this week admitted it may not replace a Highbridge phone
box which was badly damaged in a car accident.
phone box in Walrow was left severely dented last week, as pictured,
after a car crashed into the structure.
now British Telecom says it is considering not replacing it.
Jason Mann told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "The box has been removed
for health and safety reasons following a road accident."
now carrying out a review to see whether it's used enough to be
replaced. If not, we will propose to the local authority that
it is permanently removed."
district councillor Cllr Joe Leach said it would be "unacceptable"
for the phone box to be removed.
told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "I think that we have to consider
those without mobiles, or even the occasion when someone's mobile
won't work due to lack of bettery etc."
is unacceptable for BT to remove this box permanantly and I will
lobby them to ensure that it is replaced."