on Burnham seafront flats plan deferred by councillors
campaigning against controversial plans for a huge block of 13
flats to be built next to Burnham-On-Sea beach were given fresh
hope on Tuesday (March 9th) when councillors delayed making a
final decision about the scheme.
to build a three-storey property at the end of Allandale Road
were considered by Sedgemoor District Council's Development Control
Committee in Bridgwater.
while the council's planning officer Chris Gomm recommended that
the committee approve the scheme, the councillors instead voted
to defer their final decision until after they have made a visit
to the site.
comes after they heard claims from campaigners that the new building
would be out of keeping with the surrounding area.
Neville Jones spoke out strongly against the scheme during Tuesday's
meeting, when he held up several photos of the older-style properties
in the area to demonstrate how he believes the proposed property
would not fit in.
spokesman for the developers also spoke at the meeting and said
that last year's planning application for the site had only been
rejected due to concerns about the design. Now that a Victorian
and Edwardian design had been introduced to replace the previous
modern approach, he said no further stumbling blocks should be
John Conder, an ex-planning officer for SDC acting on behalf of
the Allandale Road Group, explained that although the design has
improved, the building would still be bigger than the previous
design and its mass would also be out of keeping within the context
of the road.
hearing a lively debate, councillors decided to delay their decision
until after they have made a site visit to the property.
Road Group Treasurer Tom Ashton told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "About
25 residents of the road attended the meeting and we felt they
had a good hearing. We are delighted that the councillors want
to look closely at the other properties in the road before giving
previously won a bid in
November 2008 to get the first planning application at the
site, for 14 flats, rejected on appeal by the Planning Inspectorate.
since then, the developers have submitted a new, amended planning
application - as first
reported here - with one less flat and a different building
design that they argue fits in with the surrounding area.
Development Officer Chris Gomm agrees, stating in his report to
the Development Control Committee that the development would "not
harm the character or amenity or the adjoining residential area."
the residents argue the new property's height would be out of
scale with all other neighbouring buildings, and that the building
would dominate the skyline and be out of character with the area.