of Burnham-On-Sea residents hailed heroes after house blaze
Burnham-On-Sea residents have been hailed heroes after helping
to save the life of an elderly neighbour trapped in a burning
house on Sunday evening (March 14th).
fire crews from Burnham and Bridgwater rushed to St Mark's Road
at 8.50pm, as pictured here, after a lady in an adjoining property
dialled 999 to report that smoke was emerging from the roof of
her elderly neighbour's home.
the fire crews arrived on the scene, two local residents bravely
entered the burning building to bring the stricken pensioner to
Parfitt, who raised the alarm, told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "I
was in bed watching a film on TV when I smelt smoke and went outside
to check the house next door. I could hardly believe my eyes when
I saw flames coming out of the roof. I called the fire birgade
and then several passers-by came by, knocked down my fence to
help the elderly lady from inside."
fire spokesman told Burnham-On-Sea.com at the scene: "The
crews confirmed smoke was issuing from the property, and that
one elderly female had been removed from the property by neighbours.
set about extinguishing the fire using breathing apparatus and
hose reel jets."
elderly lady was taken to hospital for treatment and the two people
who entered the building also spent several hours in A&E after
suffering smoke inhalation.
Hendry, the owner of the property, told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "My
tennant was inside the property and smelt smoke emerging from
the loft hatch."
went outside and was shocked to see smoke emerging from the roof
tiles. She immediately called the fire brigade. Her
quick action certainly helped to save the life of the lady and
prevented the whole building going up in smoke."
property, a semi-detached house, was left heavily smoke logged
and crews spent over an hour with breathing apparatus and ventilation
fans ensuring the fire was fully extinguished.
cause of the fire was believed to be unattended cooking.