explain how they rescued pensioner from burning Burnham home
men who rescued an elderly woman from a burning house in Burnham-On-Sea
at the weekend have been telling Burnham-On-Sea.com about their
broke the news on Sunday
that three fire crews from Burnham and Bridgwater had rushed to
St Mark's Road at 8.50pm after a lady in an adjoining property
dialled 999 to report that smoke was emerging from the roof of
her elderly neighbour's home.
the fire crews arrived on the scene, two young men - James Bowery
and Jason Esgate - bravely entered the burning building to bring
a trapped pensioner inside to safety.
told Burnham-On-Sea.com on Monday: "I knocked on the front
door several times and shouted to see if anyone was inside. I
then tried to see if the door was open and see if there was a
way in at the front, but there wasn't."
then ran to the back and asked a passer-by to give me a foot up
over the back fence to see if there was a way in from the back.
It was pitch black and smoke was pouring out from the back door
and none of the lights were working inside."
went into the building three times and on the final time found
the lady, who was crying for help.
also entered the property and helped direct Jason to the exit
through the back door via the conservatory, carrying the elderly
lady to safety.
was wrapped up and we sat her down on a chair in the back garden
until the fire brigade arrived."
crews confirmed smoke was issuing from the property, and that
one elderly female had been removed from the property by neighbours.
Crews set about extinguishing the fire using breathing apparatus
and hose reel jets.
added: "It was nice to see the lady safe once we were all
joined back up at the hospital. I think the 'group hug' was the
best bit for us all."
Carole Parfitt, who raised the alarm by calling 999, added: "I
was in bed watching a film on TV when I smelt smoke and went outside
to check the house next door. I could hardly believe my eyes when
I saw flames coming out of the roof. I called the fire brigade."
the elderly woman has been making a good recovery and has been
released from hospital after suffering from the effects of smoke
cause of the fire has been put down to unattended cooking.