Published: March 15, 2010
Pair explain how they rescued pensioner from burning Burnham home

Two men who rescued an elderly woman from a burning house in Burnham-On-Sea at the weekend have been telling Burnham-On-Sea.com about their heroic actions.

Burnham-On-Sea.com broke the news on Sunday that three fire crews from Burnham and Bridgwater had rushed to St Mark's Road at 8.50pm after a lady in an adjoining property dialled 999 to report that smoke was emerging from the roof of her elderly neighbour's home.

Before the fire crews arrived on the scene, two young men - James Bowery and Jason Esgate - bravely entered the burning building to bring a trapped pensioner inside to safety.

Jason told Burnham-On-Sea.com on Monday: "I knocked on the front door several times and shouted to see if anyone was inside. I then tried to see if the door was open and see if there was a way in at the front, but there wasn't."

"I then ran to the back and asked a passer-by to give me a foot up over the back fence to see if there was a way in from the back. It was pitch black and smoke was pouring out from the back door and none of the lights were working inside."

Jason went into the building three times and on the final time found the lady, who was crying for help.

James also entered the property and helped direct Jason to the exit through the back door via the conservatory, carrying the elderly lady to safety.

"She was wrapped up and we sat her down on a chair in the back garden until the fire brigade arrived."

The crews confirmed smoke was issuing from the property, and that one elderly female had been removed from the property by neighbours. Crews set about extinguishing the fire using breathing apparatus and hose reel jets.

Jason added: "It was nice to see the lady safe once we were all joined back up at the hospital. I think the 'group hug' was the best bit for us all."

Neighbour Carole Parfitt, who raised the alarm by calling 999, added: "I was in bed watching a film on TV when I smelt smoke and went outside to check the house next door. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw flames coming out of the roof. I called the fire brigade."

Menawhile, the elderly woman has been making a good recovery and has been released from hospital after suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

The cause of the fire has been put down to unattended cooking.



Bookmark and Share

Search Burnham-On-Sea.com|Add Burnham-On-Sea.com to your Bookmarks|Send a mail from Burnham-On-Sea.com|Print this page|Back to previous page|Discuss this article|

Burnham-On-Sea Seafront Webcam
Burnham-On-Sea Webcam
24-hour live pictures
See live images of the seafront and beach with Burnham's Webcam. Click here

Burnham-On-Sea What's On
What's On In Burnham-On-Sea
Things to see and do
Check the constantly updated Burnham-On-Sea.com calendar for what's happening. Click here

Burnham-On-Sea Shops
Burnham-On-Sea Shopping Guide
Buy in Burnham!
Support local traders by shopping in town - see our A-Z index of businesses. Click here

Burnham-On-Sea Video
Burnham-On-Sea Video
Burnham video news
Watch video highlights of events across Burnham with these video clips. Click here