restoration project 'will be completed despite setback'
Work on Burnham-On-Sea's £360,000 Marine Cove gardens
restoration project will still be completed despite the main building
contractor overseeing the work going into administration, the
district council said on Tuesday (September 27th).
first revealed on Monday
that the building company St Blaise had called in administrators.
Today, Sedgemoor District Council told us that the remaining
work will be completed using the council's own labour force or
additional specialist companies.
Councillor John Swayne, Portfolio holder for Community and Scrutiny
said: "It is sad that the company who were doing the excellent
specialist work are having their own problems."
"However, that will not stop us finishing this landmark
project. The Heritage Lottery Fund very generously funded the
majority of this project to the tune of £344,200 and it
really is just the final finishing touches that are needed."
"We look forward to announcing an official opening date
very soon and hope that the very strong community spirit that
has built up around this project will see it over this last-minute
posters informing passers-by about the delay to the project -
first reported here
earlier this month - have had the words 'bankrupt project' scrawled
over them, but the council is adamant that the project will still
£360,000 refurbishment project - which is being part-funded
with £344,200 from the Heritage Lottery Fund - includes
new paving, landscaping, walls, fencing, lighting, seating and
water features at the gardens, however the steal gates around
the site will remain in place until an opening can be announced.
St Blaise, which is based in Dorset, specialises in the repair
and conservation of historic buildings.