as Burnham railway heritage project gets council 'green light'
project to celebrate Burnham-On-Sea's railway
heritage has finally been given the 'green light' this week after
three years of work.
District Council has approved a planning application to install
a set of old railway buffers in Pier Street, where the town's
former railway line once ended.
team behind the Buffer Stop Memorial Project, pictured above,
were also awarded £4,000 of funding from the Town Council
at this week's Policy and Finance Committee meeting.
project's leader, John Strickland, told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "We've
been working on the project for over three years and this has
been a very important week for us."
delighted to have received the go-ahead from the district council
and to have the funding earmarked from the town council - both
very significant milestones."
builder to install the buffers at the top of Pier Street where
it meets The Esplanade has been identified and we hope work can
begin soon on the installation."
The buffers will form the start of a forthcoming Heritage Trail
project group - comprising of John Strickland, Terry Temlett and
Ann Popham - has been fundraising for several years to install
still need the support of local residents to get the project completed,"
added John. "To help our ongoing fundraising, we very much
welcome donations in our collecting tins at the S&D Pub, Wetherspoons,
The Royal Clarence, GW Hurley's newsagents, The Railway Hotel.
Cheque can also be made payable to 'Burnham Buffer Stop Memorial'
and sent to 1 Wordsworth Close, Burnham-On-Sea, TA8 2QB."
MP Tessa Munt, who recently supported the project, has welcomed
told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "The railway was an important part
of Burnham's history and the idea of introducing a tourism attraction
here with a history trail based around these railway buffers is
would be a lovely addition to this corner which is used so much
by people coming in and out of the town."
give my full support to the project and have already made a donation
and hope that others will follow as well."
railway station in Burnham's Pier Street was opened on 3rd May
1858 with the name 'Burnham' and it was not until 12th July 1920
that the suffix 'on-Sea' was added. Burnham's railway station
closed to regular passenger traffic in October 1951, although
summer excursions continued until 8th September 1962.