and traffic concerns raised over huge Burnham homes plan
about a lack of infrastructure and flooding were expressed by
residents from Burnham and Highbridge when proposals for thousands
of new homes were debated by town councillors on Monday night
first revealed last week how thousands
of new homes could be built at five sites in Burnham-On-Sea
under plans unveiled for the future development of the town.
District Council's updated Local Plan, known as its Core Strategy,
has been launched for public consultation - and names the locations
in Burnham and Highbridge where some of the 12,300 new homes needed
across the district by the year 2032 could go.
Monday's meeting, Cllr Louise Parkin said: "I can't see how
this can go ahead when we can hardly manage at the moment - the
infrastructure here is already over-subscribed. It's ridiculous
when some people have a one-month wait to see a doctor."
Cllr John Parkes agreed, saying many services are "busting
at the seams".
Bill Hancock added: "The biggest concern for me is transport
- getting in and out of Burnham and Highbridge is already a problem
at busy times, and it will be 20 times worse if these plans go
ahead." He said a new road between Burnham and Brean is essential.
Paul Young also expressed concerns about traffic in the area if
the plans for thousands of new homes go ahead. "I was almost
knocked off my bike twice while cycling along Berrow Road last
week due to wide caravans and it can only be time before we see
a fatal accident," he said, warning that more traffic would
raise the risk.
resident Tony Lynham expressed concerns about properties being
built on low-lying land that is vulnerable to flooding. "There
are already hundreds of new homes in the pipeline for the flood
plains here and more to come."
recent stormy high tide in Burnham saw the sea just inches from
coming over our sea wall - flooding is a real possibility, particularly
with rising sea levels," he warned. "One big storm and
a flood would see insurance premiums soaring."
Cllr Roger Keen also voiced his concerns about important ditches
and rhynes being altered in and around Highbridgre by the new
housing plans, raising the flood risk. "A lot of care has
to be taken to take away water when needed," he said. "Those
water courses are very important."
plans were defended by Nick Tait, Sedgemoor Planning Policy Manager,
and Andy Reading (pictured top) who is Senior Planning Policy
council's plan outlines potential new development across Sedgemoor
right up to the year 2032 - and to help gather this valuable feedback
from the public, the Council has produced a consultation document
and is inviting comments.
Planning Officers have arranged a series of events, exhibitions
and presentations where they can talk through the policies and
listen to peoples views. The consultation is the first stage
in a long prescribed process, which will end in June 2017.
consultation period started on October 26th and runs until December
18th, after which the Local Plan will be re-drafted incorporating
the changes and put out for further consultation next summer.
It will then be subject to examination by planning inspectors.
consultation document, initial Sustainability Appraisal Report
and other relevant supporting documents can be found online on
the Councils website here
or at the Sedgemoor District Council Offices, Bridgwater House,
Kings Square, Bridgwater, TA6 3AR Monday to Friday - 9:00am to
5.00pm. For further information, contact the Planning Policy team
on 01278 435544 or by email at email@example.com