Burnham jetty safety scare three years after Dylan tragedy
rescue crews were called out on Wednesday evening (August 12th)
amid concern for the safety of this youngster seen wading in sea
water on the town's jetty at the same spot that four year-old
Dylan Cecil drowned three years ago this week.
seafront walker called 999 at 9.10pm after becoming alarmed that
the man was paddling with the rapidly-falling tide around him.
Coastguards, a BARB crew and an RNLI lifeboat were on scene and
the man was given safety advice regarding the danger that he was
potentially putting himself in.
Coastguard Officer Ian Jefferies told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "The
jetty should never be used for paddling or swimming - there are
dangerous currents there that can lead to people getting into
difficulty. Our beaches are very safe for swimming when the tide
is in, and with lifeguards nearby. We advise beach users to head
the warning signs and stay safe."
crewmembers, who were nearby training at the time, were quickly
on scene and Operations Manager Mike Lowe said: "Several
of our crew were already in their water safety kit, having been
taking part in flood rescue training, so spoke to the man and
give him safety advice and pointed him towards the safer paddling
three years since young Dylan Cecil drowned after falling into
the sea from the jetty on August 19th, 2012. A number of safety
improvements have been made to the jetty by Sedgemoor District
Council since then, including extra warning signs around the jetty,
a new audible warning system, and an enhanced beach lifeguard