To commemorate this month’s 150th anniversary of the death of George Reed, Burnham’s greatest benefactor during the Victorian period, two blue plaques are to be unveiled in the town.
George Reed was responsible for a great number of significant changes to the town from his arrival in the late 1830’s to his death at the Manor House on 22nd June, 1869.
To commemorate the 150th anniversary of his passing, two short ceremonies are being arranged by North Sedgemoor Local History group when blue plaque unveilings will take place.
The first will be held at the Manor House in Burnham’s Manor Gardens at 11.30am this Saturday, 22nd June. It will be followed on Friday 28th June at 1.30pm at St Andrew’s School.
There is also a travelling photographic display and this will be on show at Burnham’s Library from 24th June to 4th July, and at St Andrew’s Church from 6th-14th July.
Burnham historian John Strickland told Burnham-On-Sea.com: “The display will feature details of his family, his public-spirited work and the land and buildings he owned. Also included are sketches drawn by pupils of St Andrew’s School.”
“He was responsible for a number of significant improvements to Burnham and the surrounding area. As well as building the new National School; Catherine & Julia Terraces; The Reed Arms; the Jetty and bringing the railway to Burnham, he did much more!”
“Catherine and Julia Terraces were named after his two daughters and he also built the former St Andrew’s School on The Esplanade and was instrumental in the railway coming to Burnham, having his hotel – the Reed Arms – built to satisfy the tourists that arrived by train.”