Burnham-On-Sea lighthouse has taken on a new look this month as it gets painted.
Burnham High Lighthouse, a Grade II* listed lighthouse tower built in 1830, is a three-bedroom home with round rooms on each of its eight floors. The landmark sold for an undisclosed fee to a new owner last summer, as reported here.
Scaffolding has been installed around the historic building to allow workers to safely paint the 110 feet (33 metres) tall structure.
Burnham High Lighthouse originally lit up the Somerset coast with a paraffin lamp in the lantern room. In the early 1950s it became one of the first lighthouses in England to be automated. The automated lantern shone brightly across the Bristol Channel, visible for a distance of up to 22 miles, keeping mariners safe until the late 1980s.
The top floor of the tower still has its original lantern room, with Fresnel lenses, a beautiful copper domed roof and granite balcony. On a clear day the lighthouse enjoys superb views across the Bristol Channel, taking in the whole of south-Wales, well beyond Cardiff and you can see the whole of Exmoor at the same time.
The eight separate round rooms are connected by a total of over 120 stairs.